Saturday, January 07, 2006

"waking the dead" part 1

I have recently been reading "Waking the Dead" by John Eldridge. It's a great book so far. There are two points I wish to make note of in regards to my reading so far. There is a third point as well, but that will be discussed at a future time.

1) "...the Enemy knows how vital the heart is, even if we do not, and al his forces are fixed upon its destructino. For if he can disable or deaden your heart, then he has effectively foiled the plan of God, which was to create a world where love reigns. By taking out your heart, the Enemy takes out you..." Do not let any thing, any person, any circumstance, nor any hurt serve to deaden your heart. Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life (Prov. 4:23).
2) The author talked a lot about how Jesus used stories. He spoke in parables. Why didn't he just tell us the facts? I know that's what I want all the time...the facts, just the facts. But the language of your heart is not just written in the facts. Your hearts language is stories, tales, adventures. We find a way to relate to stories. Stories find a way to open our eyes to more than what is around us. Makes us see the potential for more for our lives! Stories speak to my heart in a way that "mere facts" cannot. I realized this to be true when I watch movies. When I think that God has come to make men free, I think...well, that's cool! But when I watch a movie like Braveheart and see a character fight for the freedom of his people...i somehow get it in a fresh way. I don't write stories, I write about my opinions and my take on certain issues. Hopefully, I will write more about "facts" that will serve to edify others. And there is definitely a very useful and needed purpose for that. But likewise, and even more so, let the story tellers rise up!

2 comments:

Denice said...

I love this book!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read all 3! Kelli here, this one really hit home with me, how powerful "the Enemy knows how vital the heart is"(sometimes I think I'm my own worst enemy!),such a coincidence you should write this entry about the heart. Yesterday during my daily run(I'm a runner, at some point I plan to become a Blogger and enter all my vital statistics, however I'm a reader not a writer,until then...)I began thinking about the heart, my heart, and how I really give it a workout both physically and emotionally. I kept thinking and thinking and running and running, becoming more and more perplexed, 8 miles later, I just sat down on a park bench and said "Oh I really need help with this, Dear Lord please help me with this matter of the heart. I woke this morning and read your blog about "The Heart"! I'll have to get that book!
Kelli