Sunday, January 22, 2006

4 non-related thoughts

I think the most humbling (and most spiritual) times in our lives are when we apologize to someone when they should really be apologizing to us.

The lady who put a finger in the food at Wendy's gets 9 years in prison. A man rapes a girl and gets 60 days in prison. Does anyone else think our court system has their priorities a little messed up?

"I feel weird, but i can't put words to it. It's like being lonely, but not wanting to talk to anyone. It's like being hungry, but not wanting to eat. It's like when your eyes are sleepy, but your feet feel like playing. I just feel...weird." --Fraggle Rock

I want to be known. This was written to me by someone that I loved. This is how I would describe you. Someone who is deep on the inside, but can enjoy life like a child. So, it's not like you are giddy and full of joy because you are blind to the realities of life, but it is in the midst of knowing the truth and depth of life and God with all of its struggles, pains, and rewards that you can dance before Him in joy like a child -secure in the love that God has for Him, enjoying all the gifts that He has given. The depth is what makes you childlike as opposed to childish - 2 very different things. I like that about you. I think these words mean so much to me because this person was able to unearth the real me. She understood me and "got me" in a way a lot of others don't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I've been away. Internet troubles.

Share all you want. You don't have to be right to share your opinion, right? God bless America...

I like the Fraggle Rock quote. Good stuff.

I think the apology thing is interesting because apologies are important to me. Sincerity is key. People can apologize for their part in something that was not their fault.

The criminal justice thing isn't fair I'd say. I agree there are problems with prisons, but the solution should not be to scrap our system. I heard some people talking about how great Singapore is and how they would gladly give up some of their freedoms for a better criminal justice system. I think they say that without thinking it through. It's easy to say that till you find yourself on the wrong side of a caning. Our system is set up to protect the innocent, sometimes at the expense of releasing the guilty. Do you really want it to be the other way around? Take the governments anti-terrorism abilities for example. Would you mind being detained for up to two years without being charged based solely on suspicion? These are the dangers our system is designed to combat. Figure out a way to always punish the guilty and never harm the innocent and I'll gladly listen.

The last quote is danger land. It's a beautiful quote. If I knew who wrote it i would have a better shot at saying if I thought she got you or not. Someone doesn't have to get you completely to get something right.

Matt said...

Apologizing for the part in which they were wrong, even if the other person, in actuality, did the "more wrong" thing.

I agree about the justice system. And I haven't the foggiest how to make it "right." But I do think that they can make better decisions in their sentencing. My biggest annoyance is not that the lady who put the finger in the food at Wendy's got so much time in prison, but that the person who raped the girl didn't get enough.