Tuesday, January 03, 2006

dumb "men" and a follow-up on "born again"

I get really pissed off when I think of husbands who don’t love their wives, fathers who don’t spend time with their children. How fortunate they are and they throw away life’s greatest blessings! I want to love a woman and spend time with my children. I deeply desire to be a good husband and good father. Yet, I don’t have the opportunity. I’m not saying all fathers and husbands are bad. It just irks me to hear of stories of husbands who leave their wives lonely at home so they can delight themselves in their work. To hear stories of father’s that leave their kids because they are too busy spending time in their own pursuits. argh
--------------------------------------------------------
God’s light can radiate through me whether I am feeling frustrated or even if I am not feeling God myself. It’s not my emotions or how I am feeling that day that will touch someone. It’s not even my personality. It is the spirit of God inside me. Things to remember: 1) God wants to radiate His glory through us. 2) It’s not based on our emotions. 3) We get “filled up with more of Him” (in a matter of speaking) the more time we spend with Him. 4) Make a choice to have God’s love and presence “ooze” out of us onto others.

The goal: To have God's presence radiate through us, the love of God emanate through us and the power of God flow through us so others can be touched by His presence.

I was at Walmart about a week ago, and let me tell you, I was finding quite difficult to love! I was one or two seconds away from pointing out one lady’s absent mindedness (in a very not nice way) and .5 seconds away from telling one guy off (this guy was giving the cashier a difficult time so I would have felt justified in that situation). Nevertheless, I realized that when we try to love in our own strength, we can only do so much. I also realized I need my soul cleaned out a little better to be able to see people the same way that Jesus does. Yes, make it a point to show love to people when you can. Make it simple or be creative. But there is also a more excellent way to love. That way is grounded in the fact that we are a new creation in Christ and we have the very love of God living within us.

4 comments:

Matt said...

exactly! There probably was a way, but a big part of me wanted to stand up not only FOR the cashier but also stand up TO the dumb guy.

Anonymous said...

That's part and parcel of standing up for what's right: standing up against what is wrong. It should awaken emotions in you when someone is treating someone else unfairly. Just because they are emotions does not mean that they are wrong.

Matt said...

true true. i guess if i am angry at someone, i want to make sure i am in control of my anger instead of just "going off." either way, it reminds me of "wild at heart." the important thing is standing up for what is right, not always just being the "nice guy."

Denice said...

amen and amen.