Saturday, January 14, 2006

the end of an era, the end of a dynasty

Granted, I care way too much about football and the Patriots. I will confess that. My dad can't even be in the same room as me when the game is on. I get quite excited and way way too nervous. "It's just a game" after all. But now, writing after the Patriots loss to Denver in the playoffs, I feel more depressed. It's like when the city of Boston all felt like they had their hearts ripped out after the Red Sox lost to the Yankees in game 7 a few years back. Remember? Pedro, Grady, Boone...frickin' Boone. Well, that's how I feel now. So, in hopes to undergo a little session of personal therapy, I write this blog.

Faulk-fumble that turned into a touchdown (due to a terrible defensive pass interference call in the end zone). Hobbs-fumble that turned into a field goal. Brady-interception in the endzone which was returned for an eventual touchdown (biggest turnover in the game). The nail in the coffin was a fumble by the sure handed Troy Brown on a punt. Vinatieri missed a field goal in there as well. It was like all the old faithful players just weren't doing it for us tonight. I mean, Brady played a decent game, but the offensive unit just couldn't do anything today. Our defense gave up 27 points, but they were absolutely outstanding today! Almost all the points that Denver got were off turnovers. Special teams and lack of offensive production led to the end of the Patriot dynasty. They will not be back in the superbowl for at least five more years. Pats fans don't get mad at me. It's just the way the sport works. Look at history. Brady will be hard-pressed to get another superbowl ring in his career. I will buy the 3 games to glory DVD's to relish in the past victories which nobody can take away from Brady, the Patriots, or from me...haha!

It had to happen at some point. It was inevitable. However, I wanted it to happen to a team that was better than us. That outplayed us. Denver did neither. The Pats simply beat themselves with uncharacteristic turnovers. I wanted a team to exploit our secondary, crush our offensive line. Denver didn't even cause the turnovers, we just bumbled the ball around like a bunch of kids playing hot potato. The Patiots lost the game to an inferior team. I don't like losing that way. But...now that you read all that...I feel better, thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least your time was in the playoffs...

Matt said...

mike, i hope you're right. for now, i will relish in the past superbowl wins. Captain, ...yeah, sorry about your teams. Rough year.