Sunday, December 04, 2005

personal God stuff (part 1)

OK, this is my problem. I have a deep stirring in my heart to go wholly after the things of God, however, I am experiencing a tendency to just escape. Especially during this Christmas season when it gets hard. Pray that I don't. I know that I have been partly blaming my lack of obedience to the calling of God on my life and to His ways on not having guys to "fight the fight with me" or to "hold me accountable." But when I went to a worship service last night, something shook me inside and I realized i can't keep making excuses. The song was called You and Me Alone. These are the lyrics:

Take all I am, and all I have gained
Lay me bare to the bone
Shake the foundations and see what remains
It's just You and me, alone
'Til it's just You and me alone

So tear down the borders that I have built
Crush the walls, stone by stone
Destroy my resistance, that I hold so strong
'Til it's just You and me, alone
You and me alone

(Lay me down)Let this place be an altar
(Lay me down)Let this death be complete
(Lay me down)Let this song be a marker-stone
That others can easily see

(Lay me down)Like a drink that is poured out
(Lay me down)Like a seed that must die
(Lay me down)So I can rise in the morning
While the graveclothes fall down at my feet
It's just You and me alone

The song made me think of all the things in my life that I have come to rely on and depend on for my fulfillment before God. So this song is my new prayer...though it can only mean more wrestling with God, I hope that I can allow this process to take place. Perhaps I should add a new middle name to my name. If so, it would be Jacob, because of what the name means. If you don't know, look it up:)

I will stop this blog here and split this into 2 blogs. Until next time...

2 comments:

Denice said...

I loved that song and wanted the lyrics to it - thanks so much for writing them out - and I'll also be praying for you too.

Anonymous said...

Do you know where I could listen to it? I'm trying to learn it on guitar and can't find the chords for it. ):