Sunday, July 24, 2005

part 2, All I need

So, is God all that that I need? There's approximately 1,000,702,044 songs with the words, "You're all I need" (or some variation of those words) in it. Let me make you aware that He's not all I need. I understand some of you may begin screaming, "heresy, heresy" (ie. Viking girl--sorry, inside joke) right now. Some may begin frothing at the mouth with this apparent abomination. I realize some of you may think I am being too picky here, but I'm not, so get over it:) Hear me out. I actually used to feel guilty by other Christians for not feeling satisfied by just knowing God. I thought, "what is wrong with me? I know God, yet I am not fulfilled. I know God, but I feel like all my needs aren't presently being met. " Luckily, through God's grace, I have gotten past that line of thinking and feel at peace when I say that God is not all that I need. God created us all with hard-wired needs, some unique and some general. We all need water and food. And since neither water nor food is God, then I need something other than God. God created us to have a vertical relationship (with Him), but also to have horizontal relationships (with one another). We aren't meant to go through life in isolation. That is a God-given need we all have. A need that I have is to have a wife. It's true that a wife is what I want, but I call it a need because I believe that is something that God hard-wired in me. So now, I can be content in my season of singleness, but I will not except singleness as the final say in the matter. If I believe God created me to be married, then why would I settle for anything less? I wouldn't be fulfilled with anything less. The beauty of it all is that God can and will meet our needs, whether they be great or small, as we continue to pray and seek His face. The difficulty that I find is having faith when I can't see how it's possible (yeah, i know, that's what faith is). Things don't always happen the way that we or God want them to (that's another blog don't worry). But if we continue to pray, in faith, that His will be done in our lives, then God will come through. Lord, help my unbelief.

No comments: